POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : artistic water final - IRTC WIP : Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP Server Time
6 Aug 2024 22:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP
From: Smws
Date: 13 Nov 2006 22:50:00
Message: <web.45593c137adb74e745b35da20@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Well in light of the recently announced IRTC topic "Complexity" I figure a
> multi-fractal based water effect is fairly on topic (perhaps?). So I've
> adapted this to be a more dramatic image.
>
> Changes: I've moved the ship further away and smashed it's windows, there's
> some nice media to fogging and mist from the waves, and some general
> tweaking of the overall colours in the scene.
>
> Also, since it's been requested, I've posted the source in p.b.s-f. Enjoy!
>
> I think it's basically finished!
>
> What do you think?
> --
> Tek
> http://evilsuperbrain.com

This is extremely fine-looking water; as Jim Charter mentioned, it makes one
(well, me, at least) question my own recollections of the ocean and waves,
and it provides an artistic rather than photographic interpretation
(although the realism is very good too). It made me think of Hokusai's 'Big
Wave' as well. Incredible. Also generous of you to provide the code--
thanks!

If I could offer any suggestion, it would be that the clouds should have the
same sort of complexity at several scales that the water does. I know this
is pretty difficult, though. I also think the boat detracts, because it's
so much simpler than the water. Maybe another organic object as well, like
a jellyfish, feather, bit of wood, etc...

-Stefan